Purple Sweet Potato Soup
Why hello there friends!
You know those periods of time when you can’t quite get into a rhythm? This new quarter put me into a rut with my schedule, and I finally feel like I’m able to catch my breath. That’s when I’m thankful for dishes like this Purple Sweet Potato Soup that makes it easy!
Nothing complicated. I love when only a few ingredients are needed to create a humble bowl of soup that simply glows in it’s vibrant color.
Potato and cabbage. One of those very traditional duos. This time, with a twist.
Steamed purple sweet potato and red cabbage blend seamlessly into a soup that is so creamy and rich it will fool you into thinking there is heavy cream added. But by lightly steaming to soften, yet preserve their nutrients, then blending them along with the help of my beloved versatile cauliflower, they transform into this silky smooth soup.
A quick avocado and tomatillo salsa, pulsed with a pinch of cumin, contrasts with the smooth and mild soup by texture and flavor. Bits of tomatillo burst in your mouth, releasing their tart juice and carrying with it a slight smokiness.
And that color! I’m continually amazed by God’s beautiful creations and creativity. Abundance here for our enjoyment and nourishment.
How to make without measurements:
- Play with the ratio of sweet potato, cabbage, and cauliflower depending on your preference. The potato and cauliflower will provide the creaminess.
- After steaming, add to your blender and blend while pouring in water until you reach your desired thickness.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, get creative with your seasonings! Add in small amount and taste as you go!
- 1 medium purple sweet potato, diced
- ¼ head purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- ¼ - ½ head cauliflower, broken into pieces
- ¼ small lemon, juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons hemp seed, optional
- Pinch of salt
- Water as needed
- ½ avocado, or more if desired
- 3-4 tomatillos, roughly chopped
- ½ -1 teaspoon cumin
- Additional toppings - fermented sauerkraut, hemp seeds, etc.
- Steam the first three ingredients until just fork tender.
- Add the steamed vegetables into a high-speed blender with the remaining soup ingredients. Begin blending, streaming in water to help blend. Add water until you reach desired thickness and blend on high for about 1 minute, until very smooth.
- Taste. Add additional salt or lemon if needed.
- Add the three ingredients to a food processor and pulse until desired consistency. Briefly pulse for a chunky salsa or process longer for a smoother consistency. Use the cumin to your preference of smokiness. If unsure, start with a small amount and add as you like.
- Taste. Add additional cumin for a smokier flavor.
- Serve the soup with the salsa, sauerkraut, additional hemp seeds, and any other desired toppings or sides. Enjoy!