My Morning Smoothie
I LOVE my morning smoothie. It’s one of those things in my routine that is very difficult to go without. I feel a huge difference when I’m not able to have one, especially in my digestive system. In 2014 I was hit with food poisoning which triggered IBS-D. Something I will go into more detail at another time in another post.
I had put up with it for about a year, but after MUCH distress over my continual (daily) diarrhea and feeling at a loss of how to heal my gut, I started to shift my attention to the root cause of it all and turning to food as medicine. One of the changes I made was starting my morning off with a very basic veggie and fruit smoothie. I read The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder, who prioritizes gut health and optimizing digestion. She promotes this idea of starting your morning off with easily digestible foods, particularly a smoothie made only with fruit and veggies. I decided to give it a go, and wow! Just days into it, I noticed a huge difference.
Not only did I have more energy and feel better overall, but this was one of the critical factors that had, and still has, a major impact on my system. Within days my stools became somewhat normal again.
Like, no more diarrhea!
After so long of distress and not feeling like I even wanted to eat, my health began to shift for the better. Now, I’m not saying that I’m completely healed, it’s not a cure-all. There are still days when I have flare ups, but implementing this smoothie has had such a positive impact on my body, and is something I believe in 100%!
A few benefits to starting your day with a smoothie:
- It’s packs some serious vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals into your body.
- Fiber! Fiber is crucial to healthy eating and healthy stools, so important for that daily detox, but is often lacking in the American diet. (Yes, even the supposed healthy fruit juice is not something you should be drinking as it lacks all of the fiber!) A fiber-rich smoothie is a great alternative!
- It’s easy to digest. I believe this is what had the most impact on my IBS. Taking into account how long foods digest, and choosing easily digestible foods in the morning is important. Forcing your body to go into extreme digestive mode right when you get up is not helpful, especially in terms of your energy.
This one was packed with lots of local produces like purple kale, apples, and peaches!
All that to say, here is my very basic smoothie guide. I never make the same one two days in a row, it varies each morning. I love changing up the greens, veggies, and fruit combinations, trying to use the freshest and most local produce I can. As far as serving size, I usually drink anywhere from 1 to 2 cups.
- Greens- think romaine, kale, spinach, collard greens, Swiss chard, and arugula
- Veggies- I like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and beets
- Fruit- apple, pear, mango, pineapple, apricot, peaches, banana, cherries, and berries
- Extras- parsley, cilantro, fresh ginger, lemon, and lime
- I pack my Vitamix about ⅔ vegetables and ⅓ fruit. Experiment with different combinations!
- Add just enough water so that it will blend easily, and blend away!
- Pour into a glass and enjoy! Take your time and "chew" it. (Remember, digestion begins in the mouth)
If you’re thinking, “eww, that’ll taste like dirt,” believe me, you mostly taste the sweet fruit! 🙂
I let this smoothie fully digest, about 30 minutes, before eating a bit extra. My go-to lately has been some properly prepared oat and sprouted buckwheat porridge, mixed with a little date paste, cinnamon, and topped with hemp seeds. 😉
I would love to hear if you’ve started to incorporate this into your routine!
Did you make it??? Head on over to my Instagram @noelle.parton and tag me if you try this out, or contact me below or here if you have questions or comments! Would love to hear from you!