Mandarin Creamsicle Nice Cream
Sweet, sweet mandarin creamsicle soft-serve nice cream… 3-ingredients, dairy-free, and so absolutely delicious!!
You know what this reminds me of? Those little store-bought half vanilla ice cream, half orange sherbet cups with the wooden stick from when I was a kid. But better! So much better!
I would never eat the vanilla part, but only ate the orange half cause, well the vanilla side was nasty and left a weird coating in my mouth and the orange at least had flavor… I don’t even want to know what those were made out of.
This treat though, yeah, I’m eatin’ it aaaallll. Using whole fruit and a bit of fresh ginger to bring it together. No contest.
These juicy, flavor-exploding satsuma mandarins that are in season right now have been continually in my kitchen for the past few weeks.
They’re perfect on their own, but they recently wound up in my Vitamix with some frozen banana. Hmmm how’d that happen… Oh I know, because they were just begging to be turned into this awesome treat!
With a little fresh ginger, which adds just a extra hint of something without overpowering, really brings it together. Bundle up! You’ll be eating this all winter long!
What to remember when not using measurements:
- The frozen banana gives that super creamy and thick consistency, so the more banana used without increasing the mandarins or water used, the thicker it will be.
- Add water only if needed to help the blending process, being cautious not to add to much which will make it thin. However, if that happens, just add more frozen banana! Easy fix.
- You can use as many mandarins as you want, but because they provide liquid, the more you’ll use the less water you’ll need.
- Ripe bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
- Satsuma mandarins (or other mandarins), peeled
- Fresh ginger (ground ginger will work as well)
- Water, if needed
- Place as many frozen bananas into a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Add the peeled mandarins. A good ratio to start with is 1 mandarin for every 1 frozen banana used.
- For every 1 banana used, throw in a small knob, or about a ¼" thick slice of fresh ginger. If you know you love that ginger kick, feel free to add extra!
- Blend on high until all is well blended and smooth, about one minute. Stream in minimal amounts of water if needed to help blend.
*For those that are new here, I’m focused on showing how to create recipes without measurements. Learning the “art of cooking.” Please, contact me if you have specific questions.