Easy Roasted Honeynut Squash
There’s just something incredibly easy, delicious, and comforting about roasting winter squash, and when I found this honeynut squash (the name says it all right??) I knew I would fall in love.
5 ingredients and a little time in the oven, and the squash just about melts in your mouth. Warning: you’ll make this as side dish but it will probably end up being your main dish you’ll literally want to eat the entire bowl… which I’ll admit, I did…
This is the first year I’ve every gotten my hands on these little gems. Oh. My. Word. I can’t get over how amazing the flavor and creamy the texture is! I did a little digging and found out that honeynut is also known as “mini butternut” and is actually a hybrid of butternut and honeycup squash, and is usually a smaller variety (hence the name). Who knew??
…and can I say, writing this post and looking at these pictures made me so crave this again!! MMM! 😉
When roasting squash, it’s all about keeping it simple in my opinion. Minimal spices and a little salt to enhance the incredible, natural flavor is all you need to make something spectacular. It’s SO easy!
One of my favorite spice combos for savory dishes, especially squash (like in my Dairy-Free Acorn Squash Soup), is cinnamon and cumin. You may be thinking that those two are an odd pairing, but they’re so perfect together! That warming cinnamon to enhance the sweetness of the squash with a smoky contrast from the cumin. It’s just one of the best pairings!!!
Before we get to the recipe, on a non-food side-note, I’ve been reminded of something lately and think it’s a great reminder for us all. We all go through hurdles in our lives, which we grow and learn from. Others in our lives may be going through a similar, or the exact same situation.
Show love to them. Encourage them. Share with them what you learned. Be a blessing to them.
Alrighty, now it’s time for this incredible squash!!
- Honeynut squash (I used 1 large, but use however many you want!)
- Coconut oil
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cumin
- Himalayan sea salt
- Cube your honeynut squash into desired size. I keep the skin on because it's thin and cooks down very well. Just make sure you wash and source organic is possible.
- I use about a 1:1 ratio of cinnamon to cumin, however if you want more of one than the other, use whatever you'd like. Also, you can use however much you want. If you want just enough to hint at the flavors use less, or if you want there to almost be a spice "crust" you'll use a lot more.
- Using just enough coconut oil to coat the squash, rub this with your spices and a good pinch of salt to evenly coat your squash.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven on 400°F for about 30 minutes or until super creamy and golden brown, stirring once or twice.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt if needed and serve. Enjoy!
Did you make it??? Head on over to my Instagram @noelle.parton and tag me if you try this out, or contact me below or here if you have questions or comments! Would love to hear from you!