Dairy-Free Acorn Squash Soup
Acorn squash soup. Creamy, smoky, sweet, rich, warming, and nourishing. Plus, it’s dairy-free and only 7 ingredients. That’s right. No milk, not even nut milk used here!
Whoa! I could drink this stuff. It’s so amazing!
I’ve been in winter-squash-mode lately. But, who isn’t? I’ve been loving everything from delicata, to butternut, to honeynut (??? recipe coming soon!), to of course, acorn. And of course just getting into the much beloved pumpkin! They’re just the perfect fall food and can be used in so many different ways!
Especially when making creamy soup!
I was blessed by Shirley Bar Living who was kind enough to let me try out their Ethiopian Tahini. I thought to myself, “how much different can Ethiopian Tahini really be from the regular ole stuff?” Let me tell you, I fell in love! Ingredients = 100% raw, Ethiopian sesame seeds. Nothing else, but it’s the creamiest stuff I’ve ever had. So silky!
Lots of yummy treats and food have been experimented on with it, and am finally getting around to sharing one of them.
I’ve been busy to say the least, and finally feel able to start sharing my food again. I figured this creamy, dreamy soup was a good starting point!
Something I’ve been reminding myself lately, and it’s something that my Dad continually reminds me of. Enjoy the journey. Don’t overwhelm yourself by thinking about the a month, a year, 5 years down the road, just enjoy everyday. Focus on the everyday. That’s what Matthew 6 talks about right? “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34
So, taking one day at a time and loving the journey!
Which brings me to this soup… enjoy this soup!
- Acorn squash, diced
- Garlic, roughly chopped
- Onion, diced
- Tahini, I used Shirley Bar Living brand
- Coconut oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- Desired toppings- I went ahead and roasted the seeds of the acorn squash (of course!) with sprouted lentils for a nice texture crunch!
- Mix acorn squash, garlic, and onions together. Rub down with just enough coconut oil to coat, as much cumin and cinnamon as you'd like, and a good pinch of salt. Use as much of the squash, garlic, onions, and spices as you'd like. Remember, the more of the garlic and onion, the more of that flavor will come out, so if you love it garlicy, go crazy with the garlic! If you want more of a smoky soup, use more cumin, and if you want more of a sweet soup, use more cinnamon.
- Roast in the oven on about 400° until golden brown. Alternately, you can do this by broiling. Just be careful not to burn!
- Throw this mix into a blender. Add as much tahini as you'd like! This will boost the creaminess and well as give that amazing flavor that tahini brings.
- Begin blending will pouring in water. Add water until it is to desired thickness or thinness.
- Taste. Do you want more tahini? Is there enough salt? Do you want just a dash more of cinnamon? Add more if desired and blend again.
Did you make it??? Head on over to my Instagram @noelle.parton and tag me if you try this out, or contact me below or here if you have questions or comments! Would love to hear from you!